Wednesday, May 19, 2010

part II


i want to be a spiritual director.

"a whaaa??" :)

the few people i've talked to have had that reaction, too. it's not widely practiced in my particular branch of the "God tree"... it's roots are ancient & find more expression in the catholic & liturgical circles. basically, spiritual direction involves a process where one believer helps another, or sometimes a seeker, to understand what God is doing and saying. it's helping people see where God is active in their lives... how to be aware of the realities of their faith in the "moment to moment" of life, and to engage in those moments. it's like mentorship, sort of. according to wikipedia, it's "...the practice of being with people as they attempt to deepen their relationship with God, or to learn and grow in their own spiritual journey. The person seeking direction shares stories of his or her encounters of faith, or how he or she is experiencing spiritual issues. The director listens and asks questions to assist the directee in his or her process of reflection and spiritual growth. Spiritual direction develops a deeper relationship with the spiritual aspect of being human. "

after a great deal of research, and long efforts to find a program of spiritual direction that i could (A) afford, and (B) attend, i actually came across one in durham (!), run by the faithful companions of Jesus sisters. you guys, i am SO EXCITED! it's a 2 year certification program, easily within my time & money constraints. and there was a miracle!

i called sr. joanne to ask her about the program, and she immediately replied, "i can't believe this!"

"what?" i asked, nervously.

"i was praying just this morning that God would give me one person today who would apply for this very program!"

hooray! God is mischievous & whimsical. :) and he is giving me the desire of my heart. my application was received today by sr. joanne, and the next step is an interview...the program begins in august. this is where my heart is. i want to help people realize to the fullest extent possible the love of Jesus, and his constant action in their lives.

6 comments:

Cynthia said...

That is AWESOME Rae! What an adventure you're going to have :o)

Unknown said...

My seminary back home (George Fox) has a spiritual formation masters and part of that is spiritual direction certification. It has become very normal in the Quaker church (my church) in the Northwest. I have been unspeakably blessed by my spiritual director at home and spiritual direction here at Asbury. I think spiritual direction is a very honorable path. You would be an amazing spiritual director. Really. And in my world, to say you want to be a spiritual director is totally normal.

Sarah said...

a whaaa???? you are going to be the awesomest! have i mentioned i am excited for you?

Unknown said...

That's amazing - I wish you so much uck and success in your application and the course your life will take.

Please wish me the same - facing a similar career change mysef just now!!

Sarah

http://thesecretistobelieve.blogspot.com/

Liz said...

That is not a whaaa that is an AWESOME :-)

Kari said...

I am so excited for you Rae. I know only too well the search for an occupation/or something so it must be an amazing feeling to be embarking down this path. Way to go! Here's to hoping that someday I find that something too! I would love to hear more about the program later.