Wednesday, January 31, 2007
i had the best surprise last night!! i had arranged with my friend, jaya, that after our small group she would stay a bit late and teach me how to tie a sari. she is indian, and whenever she breaks out her traditional clothes for church, she looks so beautiful!! i wasn't sure if a white girl could pull it off, but i really wanted to try! so, she did - really, it's much more of a "fold and tuck" proposition than a "tying" one. i felt like royalty - you can't help but feel graceful and tall and beautiful, i tell you! and then, jaya told me that I COULD KEEP IT!!! I HAVE MY VERY OWN BEAUTIFUL SARI! look look! (pardon my unpardonable hair - i hate my hair - and my pink slipper socks, they don't really "go"). isn't it amazing!? this is the "im having dinner with the embassador, dah-ling" style, and then there is a way with more of it folded over the shoulder that keeps it out of the way of your arm more. hooray, jaya! thanks!
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Monday, January 29, 2007
Friday, January 26, 2007
Thursday, January 25, 2007
Dear Jesus, go before us and make a way. Thank you for all the times you have done that before, and thank you for doing it again. Amen.
Sunday, January 21, 2007
Thursday, January 18, 2007
Wednesday, January 17, 2007
"if you undertake a devout life, you must not only cease to sin, but also cleanse your heart from all affections to sin...souls that are recovered from the state of sin, and still retain these affections...eat without relish, sleep without rest, laugh without joy and drag themselves along rather than walk. they do good, but with such a spiritual heaviness that it takes away all the grace from their good exercises." - fracis de sales
"detachment is different than surrender...surrender is an act of will, choosing to accept what we find ourselves in and looking for Gods good purpose in it. detachment means we stop finding our meaning and security in people, things, positions, money and power so they no longer lure us into actions we know are unwise or unprofitable. in Matt 6:33 (seek first his kingdom...) Jesus is saying that the focus and passionate attachment of the believer will seem radically at odds with those of the world. detachment is the attitude that helps us cooperate with God's work as he shapes our desires, so we come to rest in the knowlege that what is truly valuable to the soul can only be given by God himself. .... Modern evangelicalism can become so focused on stopping a sinful behavior that we can lose the practical nature of virtue. we want to stop sinning without examining and freeing ourselves from the root desires that are disordered. to be free from sin, we need to look a the internal cause rather than just focus on the action. ... if the heart is bent by an appetite that leads to sin, all the external discipline agreed upon in moments of strength will wilt in the heat of desire. john of the cross explains, 'we are not discussing the mere lack of things; this lack will not divest the soul if it craves for all these objects. we are dealing with the denudation of the souls appetites and gratifications. this is what leaves it free and empty of all things, even though it possesses them. .... detachment means that you relinquish every demand you place on things and other created beings - even legitimate ones. demands are nothing more than spiritual chains. ... detachment is about far more than merely abstaining from sin. it's practice begins with the delight of our soul, Jesus Christ. He detached himself from heaven to become a man. he det. himself from his family to begin his ministry. he det. himself from people's favor to become their savior. he det. himself from life on earth to die for our sins. he det. himself from spiritually experiencing his father's presence so he could become sin for us. everything that matters most, Christ gave up. and he is the model for how we live our faith." - excerpted randomly from 'the glorious pursuit" by gary thomas, chapter 7.
Thursday, January 11, 2007
not much new to tell, but...
- holidae came up on the couch with me last night and slept on my lap while i watched tv...hooray!
- 'grey's anatomy' is finally new again tonight!
- i am getting a haircut tomorrow
wow. that's the sum total of my life today. you know, this may be the first day in months when i've felt this low key...it's lovely, now that i reflect on it! it's a long, hot shave-your-legs shower, a good book and cup of tea morning. there are not many of those in anybody's life...let alone mine. i think i will take advantage of it. adios!
Tuesday, January 09, 2007
i know you have all heard me talk about my lovely brother, jordan. he of the crazy animal stories, girlfriends and writing..."uncle new zealand", "uncle vinny", "j.vo"...he is one of my favorite people God put on this earth. and last night, i found out that his book of poetry, 'death by love at first sight', has been picked up by a publisher! a real, honest to goodness publisher! it is going to be at barnes and noble, people!! it's going to be on amazon! he is about to sign a contract for royalties and he is going to be in the library of congress! we have teased him in the last year for being 'the voice of his generation', but look! he is! i have an unpublished and notated manuscript from when he first put it together...and soon i will have the book, too! how cool is that? (i'm sorry - i realize this is a lot of exclaimation marks for this early in the morning...) so, i will let you know when it comes out, and i expect you to all go out and buy a copy! :) it is a very, very good book! (i previously posted one of his poems from the book on this blog, it's in the 'may' section of my archives, if you want to go back and read it...)
congratulations, j. vincent elliott! bully for you!
Monday, January 08, 2007
1. welcome, holidae! yes, it's official..."holidae" is our new family member. she has proven to be as sweet here as she was in the shelter's visiting room, and surprisingly unflappable with satchmo, our other cat. he tries to play with her, and she just ignores him. she was on my lap (purring!) when he ran up to the chair and batted her on the head - twice! - and she didn't even blink. good job, holidae!
2. curtis spoke last week at a national conference, and rocked! go, curtis! way to build up some personal 'cred' with the big wigs at the national office!
3. we had a "personal information infiltration" crisis and had to put a fraud alert on our credit through one of those national credit bureau (sp?) companies. needless to say, i'm still not totally at ease with all of that!
4. it was hard getting back to "real" life after the holidays, don't you think? crazy! back to making lunches, supervising homework, reasonable bedtimes, making dinner, et al. plus, i have to get on the ball again with my writing and teaching. but that means i have to re-engage in studying, so that i have something to say! eek!
5. my 'peeps' and i have to plan a retreat for may - not impossible, but we have been a wee bit slack, and now we have to get going! :)