Tuesday, June 23, 2009

midnight music

so, i've shared my bed with meg for the last couple nights... i've never been so flung upon in my whole life! arms whapped across my face, sharp toes against my calf, knees up in my ribs - how does the girl get any sleep??

but last night, in the middle of the night, i was awakened by the most beautiful thing i've heard in a long, long time. my daughter, in the midst of her sleep, laughed. not just a little giggle, or a "hahuh", but a long, belly, full-out laugh. if it was music, it would have been two full phrases of laughter. it was absolutely delightful, and i fell back asleep with a smile on my face.

i hope many of her nights are filled that way. i love you, nutmeg.

of course, tonight i'll be sleeping alone... :)

3 comments:

Krissi said...

I used to sleep like that. On vacations, my mother used to tell me she felt sorry for whomever I'd marry someday. But my sleep has calmed significantly in my adulthood.

Johnny D. said...

That is quite the beautiful image, I hope to see that kind of joy in my own children one day :)

Curtis Mulder said...

Sometimes when I pray with them at night, I ask God to give them funny dreams ... which often makes them giggle during the prayer :-)