Monday, July 13, 2009

beautiful monday

(did you hear the thunder last night? it shook me in my bed.... i woke to pouring rain & cool, grey skies... beautiful. i hope it pours all day.)

if you're looking for something to read, here's a little list of what i'm reading right now...

signs of emergence - it's interesting, not what i expected. it's not about the "emergent church movement" .... but i'm not sure what it is about! i'm not far into it, but the first chapter is all about waiting - how we need to wait & let God form us slowly. so you know it's speaking to me!

cost of discipleship - bonhoeffer is a bit like reading romans to me... the arguments fold back onto each other, and require diligent attention. the book is rich and full, and even the parts i'm not sure i agree with make me think. he helped me understand the idea of costly grace for the first time.

velvet elvis - i am not a rob bell devotee, but i do like him. most of you have probably already read this one, so i'll leave it at that.

job - well, i'm not so much reading job as i am reading the OT, and happen to be in job. i usually skim along to the good part - i like it when God shows up - but i am trying to read slowly this time, and give it my full attention... oh, and i'm sprinkling in a few psalms here and there.

2 comments:

Krissi said...

I love the book of Job, and if it makes you feel any better, I haven't read Velvet Elvis, even though I like Rob Bell. I haven't read anything he's written. I just watch those nooma videos. It's a lot faster!

kcrouth said...

I love reading the dialog between God and Job at the end.

Velvet Elvis has some good stuff in it. Also, Sex God.

I'm reading a really cool one now, "The Meaning of Jesus"... a dialogue of sorts between N.T. Wright and Marcus Borg... very interesting stuff.