Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Well, its only been four years...

It’s pouring rain… like, *pouring*. From where I sit I can see out the front storm door, but I can’t see the road, the rain is so heavy. Despite that, it splatters against the skylights in my living room with the most peaceful cadence - I love it. I have finished my youtube yoga, poured a glass of wine, and here I am. On the couch, with the rain, with the wine, and with you. 

I am trying to start a new rhythm. I took a new job that will hopefully be significantly less stressful, and it is a full-time work from home position. I mean, I’ve been working from home with the pandemic, but in the back of my mind has always been that I will be back in the office eventually, so I never really tried to establish healthy work from home habits. It’s been shower optional, real pants out of the question and hair very questionable. At my lowest point, I hit nearly 3pm before I realized I had not brushed my teeth. But now it’s a real thing, the work from home life, and I’m going to have to figure it out in a way that helps me be not just productive, but also mentally healthy and able to shut the door and be done my day at the end of the day, you know? 

The first thing I did was turn my desk to face the window - what a difference! I see birds and green things and dog walkers and am surprised to find I feel less isolated. The world exists, and it has real beauty. The Huffington Post (read “my husband”) says that establishing a faux commute helps, so this week I started walking the dog around the block before and after work. I am also starting a daily yoga practice - 3 days in! - after the dog walking to clear my head and move my body. If the gym ever opens up again I want to hit the gym at lunch (optimism!) since no one will care if I’m sweaty when I clock back in. (Gosh, do you think the gym will open back up??) And lastly, I want to start writing again. I love writing, and loved blogging when I was a stay at home mom a million years ago. Not because I had a huge following, just because putting words on paper does something inside of me that is so…deeply good. Healing. 

So, here I am, on the couch with the rain and wine and you. I want to figure out my new rhythm. A woman of a certain age, working from home. Showering, walking, working, writing and yoga are my starting point. I’d love to have your company, if you feel like it. Either way, I hope you find your own rhythm, wherever you are and whatever you’re up to.

No comments: