Wednesday, March 12, 2008

flower girls

i went for a short walk through the neighborhood last night (trying to see if the fresh air would help me feel better). as i passed one of the many houses with only their screen door shut, 2 girls, probably 5 & 7, came flying out, braids bouncing and eyes flashing, calling me to "wait!". i slowed my gait and waved hello, but they continued to yell, "wait! i have to tell you a secret!". who i am to deny the toothy grins of such beautiful girls? so i took 5 steps back to where i'd been, and asked what they wanted. wildly, they looked around, and then the youngest swooped down and picked 2 short stems of the purple flowers (weeds) that grow on the edges of lawns around here, and said, "i have pretty flowers for you!" her sister was quick to pluck another, and hand it to me as well, with dignity only the very young can muster - solemn without being serious. thanking them, i took the flowers, told them to have a nice night, and continued my walk home. i heard their mother as i walked away, scolding them (rightly so) for calling out to strangers to come over - but i couldn't help but be glad they did. the air didn't really relieve me, but those girls did something for my heart that could not have been accomplished any other way, i think. i carried my bouquet all the way home, grateful for it, and the joy that it represented. thank you, girls.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

:) This made me smile.

Marilyn said...

This is why God keeps making children. It is the only way to keep us old folks sane.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! :0)

*marissa* said...

awwwwww!!!!