Tuesday, December 30, 2008

i may be premature...

... but if you don't start thinking about these things early enough, they pass you by!

february 25th is the first day of lent this year. "lent!?" says you? "lent." says i. the traditional christian practice of giving up something in an effort to prepare yourself for the celebration of easter... and to reorder your life a bit more thoughtfully toward God. i always encourage my friends to practice lent with me - tho most don't. (no guilt intended!) :) i am undaunted, though! i will particiapte in lent again this year - i always find it so fruitful, and so healing for my heart. so maybe this will be the year you do it, too? if you feel the need to make space in your life for Jesus, lent is the way to go, i'm telling you. and it's always surprising to me how God shows up when i take the time to show up, you know?

here are a couple of things i'm thinking about for lent 2009....
  • giving up, or wildly restricting, the internet. i did this last year, and loved it, but my laptop has spent the last year sucking me back in!
  • fiction - like the internet, i lose a lot of time here!
  • tv - this one may be too hard, but i'm considering it! ('house', i love you!)
think about it... maybe lent this year?

3 comments:

Krissi said...

I have to admit it makes me sad that fiction is something you would consider to give up for lent. In all honesty, I'd like to give up reading theology because it really drags me down, but I don't have that option.

Shawna said...

ok thinking...

Annie said...

Actually I too have been thinking of this early! I prefer the Lent season to the NY resolutions. Don't know yet what it will be but I'll be there with you expecting God to show up in amazing ways as He always does! :0)